Consultants. Advisors. CPAs.
At TMO Consulting, we’re proud to work with the Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) that make such an enormous difference in the communities they serve. Together, our team of CPAs and consultants has served more than 400 PHAs and affordable housing providers, offering valuable accounting, training and consulting services. We provide the customized accounting solutions and resources agencies need to stay current with HUD accounting requirements – and to continue making a difference, every day.
Our PHA services include:
- Fiscal Assessment
- Fee Accounting
- Asset Management Strategy
- Property Performance
The accounting services public housing authorities need.
As part of our fee accounting services, we help our clients process their monthly accounting information. Our dedicated professionals have experience completing monthly financial statements, budgeting, and year-end reporting, along with preparing materials that include monthly bank reconciliations, “simple cash flows,” and everything in between.
Our fee accounting services also include:
- Budgeting and year-end reporting to HUD/REAC
- Work papers for independent auditors
- Financial statements in the format that you and your board require
- Bank reconciliations
- Adjusting journal entries
- Recording receipts and disbursements
- Maintenance of a general ledger of all authority activity
- Financial reports, custom tailored to your needs
- Submission of the FDS and scoring of your financial and management ratios
- Preparation of a “simple” cash flow
- Preparation and submission of monthly 52681-B form (VMS) to REAC
- Monthly phone call to discuss financial reports and any areas of concern that come to our attention
Delivering more than a spreadsheet.
TMO Consulting will help develop projections of revenues and expenditures for fiscal year or longer. We develop and implement approaches to maximize subsidy from all funding sources (including operating fund subsidy, Section 8 subsidy, and grant funding) and determine a beneficial allocation of expenditures. Our allocation plan will be compliant with the Supercircular 2 CFR 200 and, if relevant, HUD regulations. Services for housing authorities include:
- Calculation of operating subsidy
- Estimates of HCV administrative fee revenue
- Development of public housing budgets (AMP & COCC budgets)
- Development of a consolidated, multi-program budget (LIPH, HCV, CFP, other grants and program revenues, etc.)
- Trend analysis, forecasting, common size analysis
- Analysis of projected Operating Reserves
In-depth assessments, maximum results.
The PHA Finance practice can help review existing organizational charts to comply with HUD’s regulation and maximize subsidy. Our consultants have experience training staff and, most importantly, ensuring that each PHA we work with operates efficiently. We assess each housing authority’s structure in a number of different areas, including:
- Accounting and reporting
- Information technology/Software
- Staffing ratios
- Asset management compliance
- Funding maximization
TMO Consulting professionals have extensive experience helping our clients develop best practices to monitor and interpret monthly site financials and constructively analyze site performance. We also assist in refining short- and long-term portfolio goals and implementing strategies to maximize each housing authority’s operational performance. Our services include:
- PHAS assistance and appeals
- Organizational assessments
- Property performance enhancement
- Development of management and operational reports
- Property management staff training
- Compliance with HUD asset management requirements
- Fee for service / staff allocation assistance
- Corrective action plans for non-performing properties
- Long term asset management strategies and portfolio analysis
- Maintenance team utilization analysis
Building a foundation for the future.
Find and address issues before they become problems. We review each housing authority’s finance department for a variety of issues, including:
- Compliance with HUD, GAAP & GASB regulations
- Maximization of subsidy
- Organizational structure
- Internal control and accounting functions
- Competency of accounting staff
- The current budget process
- Implementation of project based accounting
- Reporting accuracy and timeliness.
We will also provide a report of observations and recommendations to correct any deficiencies and align the agency for success.